What are some things you like to do in your free time?
Write Pleasure on the board. Tell your students five things which give you pleasure in your everyday life, they should be small and insignificant things, for example:
Having a shower.
Looking at the stars.
Watching my daughters sleep.
Reading the newspaper in the park.
Drinking coffee in a terrace.
Then ask students to write down 10 things which give them pleasure using the gerund as the subject of the sentence. Tell them that the things shouldn’t be very big things, but small, insignificant everyday things. Give them time to think and then write down their ten things of pleasure.
Put your students into pairs and ask them to explain their ten small pleasures to their partner. After five minutes get feedback from the whole class and talk about the type of everyday things which give you and them pleasure.
Tell your students they are going to watch a short film in which a series of small pleasures are shown. Tell them to watch the film and afterwards to try to recall as many of the small pleasures as they can.
Get feedback from the whole class and see how many of the small pleasures they can remember and help students with any vocabulary. Show the film a second time, but this time pause at each pleasure and get students to name it. Then ask them if the thing gives them pleasure.
Ask your students the following questions:
How did the film make you feel?
Do you think the film has a message?
What’s the message of the film?
Do you think we overlook the small things which make life beautiful?
What do you think about the following quotes? Read and express your opinion:
FOOD FOR THOUGHTS. Here are some thought provoking pictures. Don’t be shy to express your point of view:
Here are some more questions on free time:
• What do you do on Saturdays?
• Do people's leisure time activities change as they get older? How?
• Who do you like to spend your leisure time with?
• What do you usually do?
• Do you ever feel that you waste your free time? How?
• What can you do about this?
• Do you have a hobby?
• What are your hobbies?
• How long have you had your hobby?
• Which hobbies are the most expensive?
• Which hobbies are the cheapest?
• Which hobbies cost nothing at all?
• Which hobbies are the most popular in your country?
• Did you have any hobbies when you were a child?
• Which hobbies are the most popular with women in your country? With men?