Reading: News in brief
1. Read the newspaper stories below and match the headlines from the previous exercise to the correct story.
2. Answer the questions
1) How long have the police been investigating the murder?
2) Who do the police want to talk to about the man who tried to strangle a young woman?
3) What kind of weapon are police using to stop burglars?
4) Why is a 19-year –old going to prison for 6 month?
5) How many people would police usually arrest for shoplifting for one year?
3. Answer the following questions
1) In story 1, what don't the police know? What tells you this?
2) In story 2, did the woman die? How do you know?
3) In story 3, when sis police start working with Bob? How do you know?
4) In story 4, was the woman going on holiday? How do you know?
5) In story 5, were only 30 police involved in the operation? How do you know?
Murder mysteries Discuss murder riddles and find out an answer. Give as many versions as possible. You can only ask Yes/No questions.
1. Two girls ate dinner together. They both ordered iced tea. One girl drank them very fast and had finished five in the time it took the other to drink just one. The girl who drank one died while the other survived. How did the girl who drank the most survive?