Choose the right answer
Обратите внимание на обстоятельства времени, характерные для Past Continuous:
at... o’clock yesterday
when mother came home
from 5 till 6 yesterday
the whole evening
Put the verb into the correct form, past continuous or past simple
1. Jenny ….. (wait) for me when I …. (arrive).
2. What…(you/do) at this time yesterday? I was asleep.
3. … (you/go) out last night? No, I was too tired.
4. How fast … (you/drive) when the accident …(happen).
5. Sam …(take) a photograph of me while I …(not/looking)
6. We were in a very difficult position. We (not/know) what to do.
7. I haven’t seen Alan for ages. When I last …(see) him, he … (try) to find a job.
8. I …(walk)walk along the street when suddenly I … (hear) footsteps behind me. Somebody … (follow) me. I was scared and I … (start) to run.
9. When I was young, I … (want) to be a pilot.
10. Last night I … (drop) a plate when I … (do) the washing up. Fortunately it … (not/break).
Open the brackets, using Past Simple or Past Continuous
Put the verbs into Past Simple or Past Continuous.
1. _____ you _____ (to wait) for me at 5 p.m.? — Yes, I ____.
2. They_____ (to finish) their work at 11 o’clock and ______ (to come) home.
3. It _____ (to grow) dark, so we______(to decide) to return.
4. While Jack _______(to sit) by the window, we______ (to work) on a project
5. A young man (to run) out into the street. He ______(to carry) a cat in his hands.
6. What______you______(to do) when I ______(to phone) you yesterday?
7. John______(to listen) to the radio when the batteries ______(to run) out.
8. The robbers______(to steal) the car and they _____ (to drive) away.
9. She______(to go) to buy a dress, but a thief _____ (to steal) all her money.
10. She______ (to slip),______ (to fall) over and______ (to break) her leg.
11. I saw a light in your window as I ______ (to go) by.
12. Yesterday while I ______ (to walk) down Cherry Lane, I ______ (to meet) Thomas, an old friend of mine.